old main
Macie Reynolds
Photo by Kailey Beth (@kaileybethphoto) 

This spring, we interviewed B.A. alum Macie Reynolds, who was recently promoted to news producer with 40/29 News. We asked her about the way her minor in Political Science enhanced her major in English and her decision to pursue an alt-ac career path. We also learned about the recent publication of not one but two of her articles in Modern Luxury Dallas magazine, and we confirmed a favorite course she took and book she read while completing her undergraduate degree in English.

You majored in English and minored in Political Science.  Could you talk about the range of your academic interests and the extent to which your Political Science courses enhanced your English studies and vice versa?

I went into college knowing I wanted to study English Literature. I’ve always had a passion for not only reading and writing, but analysis, critical thinking, and communication. As a child, I’d write essays over the summer when I was bored. I’d open an old encyclopedia and write about the first thing my eyes fell on. When I started school in 2016, an election year, I also realized my passion for Political Science. I picked up a minor in the subject and instantly strengthened my studies. I feel that English goes hand in hand with just about every subject, but especially Political Science. Politics are embedded within writing as most texts verge on issues of gender, race, sexuality, and class. It’s important to understand the root of these issues as they are fundamental aspects of human society and have increasingly become the object of public policy. My separate studies always seemed to intersect because my writings reflect how I have been impacted by the world around me, and most things in this world are inherently political. Plus, it never hurt to throw a literary reference into a Political Science essay. 

Congratulations on recently being promoted to news producer at 40/29 News! We are constantly encouraging our English students to consider alt-ac (alternative-academic) careers because they develop such strong writing/communication skills within the major. At what point did you decide to pursue this career and why? How have your experiences as an English major benefited you in this position?

To be honest, it wasn’t until after graduation that I decided on a career path, but after shadowing in the newsroom, I was instantly drawn to the field. Being a news producer combines my studies of English and Political Science while throwing so many new things into the mix as well. I had a lot to learn at the start, but did so quickly and went from an associate producer to a full-time producer in just four months. Having studied English, I believe I was well-prepared for the job despite it being a new domain for me. Strong writing skills are a must as I spend most of my days writing newscasts, but critical thinking and strong communication skills are equally important when producing – all of which were fine-tuned for me in school. The versatility that comes with being an English major definitely helps me to thrive in the rapid-paced and ever-changing environment that is the newsroom. 

Congrats, as well, on having two articles published in the November 2019 issue of Modern Luxury Dallas magazine! That’s wonderful! Could you talk about the topics for these pieces and why you were drawn to writing about them? 

Modern Luxury focuses on, well, luxury. The luxury in lifestyle, fashion, designing, events and more – all things that are right up my alley. One of my first loves was fashion, and styling clothes is a hobby of mine, so it’s fitting that one of my articles was about an up-and-coming Dallas fashion designer. An ethical, slow-fashion brand, something I wholly stand behind. It was so fun mixing my passions of writing and style. The second article was a gift guide for those looking for the luxurious in Dallas during the holidays.  

Finally, what is a favorite English course you took and a favorite book you read for a course in the major? Any recent books you’ve read that you’d like to recommend?

My senior year, I took a British Literature and Culture course taught by Professor Lissette Lopez Szwydky-Davis. Specifically, “Nineteenth-Century Women Adapted: Austen and the Brontës.” We focused on three texts, Wuthering HeightsPride and Prejudice, and Jane Eyre, and analyzed contemporary adaptations of the works. That was definitely a favorite of mine. I’ve always loved classic literature, so getting to study a few of my favorites while also interpreting works that put a modern spin on them was great. For our final project, and the last project of my college career, I wrote a research paper over the Female Gothic in Wuthering Heights and several adaptations of the text. It was a great way to end my studies. As for a favorite book, I read The Girl in the Flammable Skirt by Aimee Bender for a creative writing course, and it’s been a favorite ever since.